Saturday, March 29, 2008

Friday night on the town

Well we decided to be sociable and go out with people from the RCC.
We met at the JWow wine bar in the city and had a few drinks (non-alcoholic on my part anyway); we were a few bottles behind them by the time we arrived.
Then we went off to have a bite to eat at the Yak Bar, which was lovely tapas.
After that we met up at a scary place called the Club Retro in Lonsdale. And as you might imagine, they played retro songs.
I'm talking Belinda Carlisle, Roxette, A-Ha, I believe "Dancing on the Ceiling" got a run...
Tragic.
It was full of people 25-35 probably, with a few 'younguns' thrown in for good measure.
But what was frightening was: I kept seeing groups of guys, twenty-somethings, standing in a group in the middle of the dance floor, singing their hearts out to "Total Eclipse of the Heart" with their eyes closed with beer in hand.
Mind you, I knew most of the words to every song myself, but I'm 35, I'm allowed! And I'm a chick. Most of the songs were chick songs, and most of the guys knew the words too. At last the truth comes out...
It was a very amusing night.